While researching our Fitzgerald line, I have came across some additional information that coincides with our Fitzgerald family history that was passed down to me. Like with all researches, there is some conflicting information that raises the question as to who was our oldest ancestor. See these notes.
Notes on Fitzgerald m: Yowell #2
These notes pertain to recent information received regarding our James S. Fitzgerald, Sr. who was listed as married to a Mary Yowell 1745 in Orange Co., VA. The conflicting information between the recently received info, and the previously info raises addt'l question regarding our Fitzgerald line's history. It seems apparent that the found listed wife of James S. Fitzgerald, Sr. is not accurate.
Addt'l Notes On Our Fitzgerald Findings #3
These notes pertain to a document received written by Wynona Jarrell Spahr which was donated to the Princeton IN Public Library years ago. No further info is available on her. You can view the document "Fitzgerald/Fitzjarrell/Jarrell" linked on this homepage.
Our Fitzgerald family history was compiled by my great aunt Sibyl L. (Fitzgerald) Grillo who had researched the Fitzgerald-White family for many years. She last researched and updated in 1989, she attended a family reunion and distributed a family outline to many family members. From this family outline, my own Fitzgerald research began.
According to the Latter Day Saints Genealogy Library, our earliest known ancestor was JOHN JAMES FITZGERALD who was born in Ireland in 1700 and married a woman named Mary in 1718. They are named as the parents of the JAMES S. FITZGERALD, SR. in our family outline. We have in our family outline that a WALTER FITZGERALD was the father of James S. Fitzgerald, Sr.. The children listed for John James and Mary Fitzgerald are as follows: JAMES FITZGERALD, William Alexander, and Lawrence. We have a Thomas who was not listed as a child. No additional information on the children other than our James S. Fitzgerald, Sr. According to the microfilms, JAMES S. FITZGERALD married to a Mary Yowell in 1745 in the state of Virginia. Their children is listed as: Solomon who was born 10/2/1749 and died in 1820, Mary, William, Daniel, JAMES STEPHENS, John, and Johnson S.. We have a Nancy who was not listed. No additional information on the children other than our James Stephen(s) Fitzgerald. The Latter Day Saints microfilms also had recorded our JAMES STEPHEN(S) FITZGERALD as being married to a Catherine Bruce on 11/14/1787 in Nelson County, Virginia. She died 9/13/1838. Their children are listed as: John B., Stephen, John (shortened name possibly for the Johnson we have listed?), Sarah, Nancy, Mary, Frances, Reuben, James, and DURRETT (we have spelled as DERRITT S.). Johnson was not listed, but there were two John's listed. No additional information on the children other than John B. Fitzgerald as being married to an Emily Harris.
Possibly the child Nancy we have listed as the daughter of James S. Fitzgerald, Sr. (and Mary Yowell) in our family info is the child Nancy listed as the daughter of James Stephen(s) and Catherine Bruce. Possibly the child Johnson we have listed as the son of James Stephen(s) Fitzgerald and Catherine Bruce in our family outline is the child Johnson S. listed as the son of James S. Fitzgerald and Mary Yowell.
Information obtained from the Latter Day Saints site (submitted by Lillian Meeks Robertson) shows JAMES FITZGERALD born abt 1720 Orange Co., VA married 1745 in Orange Co., VA to MARY YOWELL. Additional recent information found on a mircrofilm from the LDS: A pamphlet/book Fitzgerald and Jarrell Families by Dennis Ray Hudgins call #636340; JAMES JARRELL married MARY YOWELL 04 November 1837 in Orange Co Bondsman James P. Sims witness Reynolds Chapman. The marriage registers found for Greene, Orange, and Madison Co.'s, VA show JAMES JARRELL and MARY YOWELL m: 4 Nov 1837 in Orange Co.
More recent information found posted by an individual shows a JAMES JARRELL, son of Jeremich Jarrell and Sarah (Sims) Jarrell, married a MARY DEE "POLLY FOOT' YOWELL in Orange Co., VA 4 Nov 1837. This JAMES JARRELL is listed as being born in 1792 Kinderhook, VA. Note above, the Bondsman for James and Mary's marriage is also a SIMS, same surname as Sarah SIMS, James Jarrell's mother.
The original family outline my great aunt supplied has the father of James Stephen Fitzgerald named as JAMES S. FITZGERALD, SR. (exactly as written in her notes) with no other info, including on his spouse. Four children listed; James Stephen, Daniel, Nancy, & William. No birth dates or other info on sibling of James Stephen.
What is confusing and raises additional questions is that Dennis and another source also list a son (as well as other children) named William Fitzgerald as b: abt 1752 d: 4/4/1834. A son born and died BEFORE his parents marriage in 1837? Is it possible the county registers "misprinted" the year of marriage and should have been 1737? Is it possible another Mary Yowell lived in the same area and married a James Fitzgerald prior to Mary Dee "Polly Foot" Yowell's birth?
The following notes pertain to a document received written by Wynona Jarrell Spahr which was donated to the Princeton IN Public Library years ago. No further info is available on her.
1) Information provided by Wynona regarding James Fitzgerald b: 1746-1747 Orange Co., VA d: 3/21/1836 Posey or Gibson Co., IN (Gibson Co., posted in final notes) m: ELIZABETH in Albamarle Co., VA. Elizabeth date of death as 9/13/1838(? last digit on year not clear on my copy).
* The original family outline that my great aunt supplied has James Stephen Fitzgerald, Jr. (exactly as written in her notes) with his birth date as 1745-1750 and date of death as 3/21/1836 in Gibson Co., IN, the info obtained from LDS (submitted by Lillian Meeks Robertson) show birth as abt. 1756 and date of death being the same, 3/21/1836 Gibson Co., IN. My great aunt has his wife as JANE (CATHERINE) BRUCE (exactly as written in her notes). The LDS show Catherine Bruce, no middle name, and being married 11/14/1787 in Nelson Co., VA with a date of death as 9/13/1838 Gibson Co., IN. Date of death coincides with the date of death for Elizabeth listed by Wynona.
My great aunt only has three children listed; Reuben, Johnson, and Derritt S. b: 6/3/1801 in KY d: 4/28/1873 IL. The LDS show date of birth abt. 1788, Orange Co., VA with no date of death but in IN. The LDS show siblings of Derritt S. (spelled Durrett) as +John B., Stephen, +John, Sarah, Nancy, Mary, Frances, Reuben, & James. Johnson in our family list of children not listed. (+ = note the two John's listed in LDS info, one possibly shortened for Johnson?)
2) Information provided by Wynona regarding DERRICK Fitzgerald m: 1826 in Gibson Co, IN to Polly STAVIN.
* The original family outline my great aunt supplied has Derritt S. being married to wife #2 Polly STOVER. But another descendent through a daughter named Cynthia E. (Fitzgerald) Keller show Polly's last name as SLAVEN. My great aunt has them being married 3/20/1826 Gibson Co., IN. The Gibson Co. Marriage Index sent show Derritt FITZJERALD and Polly SLAVIN as being married on 3/21/1826.
My great aunt has Derritt S. being first married to wife #1 named as Susannah Ferguson (Furguson) (exactly as written in her notes) on 7/15/1818 in Gibson Co, IN. The Gibson Co. Marriage Index sent show Derrett FITZJARALD and Susannah Furguson being married on the same date. (Note the differences in spellings of Derritt S. Fitzgerald).
3) Information provided by Wynona regarding the father of James Fitzgerald; JOHN Fitzgerald b: abt 1720-1726 in VA d: 1798 Culpeper Co., VA
* The original family outline my great aunt supplied has the father of James Stephen Fitzgerald named as JAMES S. Fitzgerald, Sr. (exactly as written in her notes) with no other info, including on his spouse. Four children listed; James Stephen, Daniel, Nancy, & William. No birth dates or other info on sibling of James Stephen. The LDS has James Fitzgerald b: abt. 1720 Orange Co., VA m: 1745 Orange Co., VA to Mary Yowell b: abt. 1725. Children listed; James Stephens (note the "s" on the end of Stephen), John, Solomon, Johnson S., William, Daniel, & Mary. Nancy in our family list of children not listed.
4) Information provided by Wynona regarding James Fitzgerald and a brother named Daniel and a son named John.
* See above notes regarding siblings of James Stephen Fitzgerald and the siblings of Derritt S. Fitzgerald. (Derritt being also a son of James Stephen).
5) Information provided by Wynona regarding the listed children for James and Elizabeth ? (we now know maiden name was Ray) Fitzgerald lists one of the children as JOHN S. FITZGERALD. Other records show that his middle name was Stanton b: 3/17/1819 in Gibson Co., IN d: 4/1/1901 m: Nancy Chism .
* The original family outline my great aunt supplied has a John S. Fitzgerald b: 3/17/1819 d: 4/1/1901 listed as a child of Derritt S. and Susannah (Ferguson) Fitzgerald. No additional info. Birth/death dates coincide with others information.